Melinda M. Phelps
Melinda Phelps’ local, state and federal government strategies work includes a wide range of policy and administrative issues involving the need for new or amended legislation or regulations, as well as matters involving compliance with existing rules. She also assists clients in obtaining permits and economic development incentives.
Melinda’s extensive experience in civil litigation includes the defense of medical malpractice claims and the resolution of business-related disputes through advice, litigation or alternative dispute resolution. She also represents clients before the Massachusetts Boards of Registration in Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy and Professional Licensure. In addition, she is the National Association of College and University Attorneys primary attorney representative of Mount Holyoke College.
A longtime resident of Springfield, Melinda has served as a Springfield police commissioner, Springfield Technical Community College Foundation board member, Mount Holyoke Club of Greater Springfield past president and Western Massachusetts Electric Company board member. She has worked in and chaired several successful state and federal election campaigns.
- District of Massachusetts
- First Circuit Court of Appeals
- Mount Holyoke College, B.A., 1978
- Western New England College School of Law, J.D., 1983
- Successfully tried over 40 cases to verdict.
- Argued Appeals Court and SJC cases.
- Represents clients before the Springfield City Council regarding special permits, zoning appeals, and other regulatory permitting.
- Collaborated with state and city officials on economic tax incentives for local businesses in western Massachusetts.
- • October 31, 2019
- Melinda was named the Best Lawyers®’ 2012 Springfield, Massachusetts Personal Injury Litigation (Defendants) Lawyer of the Year.
- She has been selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® each year since 2008 in the areas of medical malpractice law (defendants) and personal injury litigation (defendants).
- Board member of DevelopSpringfield
- Member, Mass Association of School Committee Attorneys
- Trustee of Springfield Museums
- Board member Spirit of Springfield
- Board member Greater Springfield Credit Union
- Former Fellow of MassINC’s Gateway Cities Innovation Institute, an organization dedicated to revitalizing former manufacturing centers in Massachusetts
- Former chair of the United Way of Pioneer Valley’s 2011 fundraising campaign
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, Hampden Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys
- Member, Association of Trial Lawyers of America