Jeffrey E. Poindexter
Jeff Poindexter handles all aspects of civil litigation, arbitration and mediation and has worked on matters at both the trial and appellate court levels in both state and federal courts and has tried cases to juries, judges and arbitrators. He represents individuals, corporate and business clients, and schools, colleges and universities, in litigation of a wide array of disputes, including contract, business, employment, trademark infringement, products liability and other commercial matters.
- District of Massachusetts
- District of Connecticut
- Western New England University, B.A., summa cum laude, 1991
- Georgetown University, J.D., 1994
- Represented clients in trademark and trade secret litigation, including Lanham Act and other claims relating to name confusion; and claims relating to company’s alleged unlawful use of proprietary information to interfere with contractual and advantageous business relations.
- Represented clients in products liability cases, including a hospital in connection with an alleged defective automatic implantable cardioverter defibrillator; a national manufacturer and distributer of tractor trailers in connection with an alleged defective underride guard; a drug maker in connection with claims alleging defective product and failure to warn; and an amusement ride manufacturer in connection with negligent design of an amusement ride.
- Represented clients in class actions and collective actions, including a publicly traded manufacturing company in connection with alleged claims of securities fraud; and a publicly traded timeshare company alleging wage and hour and FLSA violations.
- Represented majority shareholders and minority shareholders in complex internal business disputes, including derivative actions, freeze-out claims, and breach of fiduciary duty and duty of loyalty claims.
- Represented numerous owners and contractors in actions involving complex design and construction disputes, litigating many disputes through trials in arbitration and in court.
- Most recent past Chair of the YMCA System of Greater Springfield’s Board of Directors, and in that role led a successful national search for a new President/CEO and financial turnaround of the organization; continues to serve on the Board of Directors
- Served as the alumni member and Secretary of the Board of Trustees of Springfield Technical Community College
- Serves as a member of the Board of Directors of the Springfield Technical Community College Foundation Board
- One of twenty-one attorneys appointed by Governor Charlie Baker to serve on the Massachusetts Judicial Nominating Committee, on which he served for two terms
- Member of the Sigma Pi Phi Fraternity and its Springfield chapter, Beta Sigma Boulé, a national fraternity of African American professionals and the first Greek-letter organization to be founded by African American men
- Selected three times to serve on or chair the Merit Selection Panel to appoint and reappoint United States District Court Magistrate Judges for the District of Massachusetts
- Served, by appointment of Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick, on the state’s Finance Advisory Board and the Massachusetts Department of Industrial Accidents Judicial Nominating Panel
- Served by appointment of the mayor of Springfield, on the city’s Retirement Board
- Former board member of the Springfield Boys & Girls Club
- Former board and executive committee member of Springfield School Volunteers
- Former board member of Hampden County Lawyers for Justice
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, Hampden County Bar Association
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Black Lawyers Association