Peter H. Barry
Peter Barry devotes a substantial portion of his practice to advising tax-exempt organizations, including healthcare and education clients with regard to their activities, with particular emphasis in complex contractual matters, including mergers, affiliations, acquisitions and divestitures.
Peter is recognized as a Top-Rated Lawyer in health care by Martindale-Hubbell®, has served as a member of the Advisory Committee to the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Public Charities Division and is a long-time member of the National Association of College and University Attorneys.
Another focus of Peter’s practice is construction law. He has advised clients in connection with major construction projects and has mediated, arbitrated and litigated numerous construction disputes. Peter was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of construction law. Peter has also played a key role in regional commercial and industrial development projects, including public-private joint ventures such as the expansion of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield.
- District of Massachusetts
- First Circuit Court of Appeals
- College of the Holy Cross, B.A., 1972, with honors
- Georgetown University, J.D., 1975
- Formed and represented a tax-exempt corporation established by a teaching hospital and a university to jointly undertake biomedical research.
- Formed and represented a leading regional economic development entity.
- Closed numerous successful mergers of tax-exempt entities and has unwound tax-exempt and for-profit dysfunctional affiliations.
- Represented healthcare entities in mergers and affiliations, including the affiliation of a multi-specialty group with a health plan.
- Represented, as outside general counsel, the largest social service agency in western Massachusetts and is also outside general counsel to a statewide body politic and corporate.
- Obtained multi-million dollar settlement of federal court construction litigation on behalf of private secondary school against design professionals.
- Represented colleges and universities in construction and other contractual matters, including alternative dispute resolution and litigation.
- Represented clients in many major commercial and industrial development projects, including Union Station in Springfield and the Holyoke Intermodal Facility, one of the first Federal Transit Administration joint development projects in the country.
- • February 5, 2021
- • October 31, 2019
Peter has been selected by his peers for inclusion The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of construction law for 5 years.
- Peter is active in bar, civic and charitable activities, primarily with the Center for Human Development (CHD) and the Massachusetts Bar Foundation
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Foundation
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, American Bar Association’s
- Member, Forum on Construction Law
- Member, National Association of College and University Attorneys