Ryan J. Barry
Ryan Barry’s practice focuses on advising businesses, charitable organizations, healthcare organizations and educational institutions on the legal issues that affect them.
Ryan routinely drafts and negotiates contracts between healthcare organizations, including affiliation agreements, mergers and acquisitions, and contracts for professional services, software and medical equipment. Ryan advises healthcare clients on compliance with HIPAA, the HITECH Act, fraud and abuse laws, and a variety of other laws affecting healthcare organizations.
In his construction practice, Ryan drafts and negotiates design and construction contracts for projects ranging from $200M academic buildings to private residences. He also advises clients on compliance with laws governing prevailing wages, retainage and liens.
Ryan advises schools, colleges and universities on a wide variety of matters, including contracts, tax issues, and licensing and permitting issues.
Prior to joining the firm, Ryan served as Associate City Solicitor for the City of Springfield, where he drafted and negotiated contracts, handled civil litigation matters, and advised municipal officials on a variety of legal matters, including design and construction, zoning, permitting, real estate, energy, public works and competitive procurement.
- Business and Finance
- Construction Law
- Health Law
- Schools, Colleges and Universities
- Colorado College, B.A., 2005
- Northeastern University School of Law, J.D., 2011
- Assisted clients with the formation of businesses and charitable organizations, including medical and behavioral health practices, landscape design firms, manufacturing businesses and microbreweries
- Formed joint venture of several behavioral health and social service providers to participate in Medicaid initiative
- Represented clients in the purchase and sale of large and small businesses, including stock and asset transactions
- Represented health care client with respect to a HIPAA breach involving more than 15,000 patients, including conducting a breach analysis, notifying affected patients and local media outlets, and negotiating with CMS’s Office of Civil Rights
- Drafted and updated HIPAA policies, business associate agreements, privacy policies, and patient consent forms
- Drafted and negotiated design and construction contracts for hospitals, universities and manufacturers, with project sizes ranging from $1M to $200M
- Advised health care clients on regulatory compliance matters, including HIPAA, the HITECH Act, the Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statute, the Civil Monetary Penalties Act and the False Claims Act
- Advised clients on local zoning, regulatory and permitting issues
Ryan serves on the Board of Directors of The Children’s Study Home, a 150-year-old organization serving children with special needs and behavioral issues. He also serves on the Easthampton Community Preservation Act Committee, volunteers with the Springfield School Volunteers, and provides pro bono legal services to local farmers through the Conservation Law Foundation’s Legal Services Food Hub. In his spare time, Ryan is an avid fly fisherman and backcountry skier.