Ryan J. Barry
Ryan Barry is Chair of Bulkley Richardson’s Schools, Colleges and Universities practice group and Co-Chair of the firm’s Health Care practice group. He also has significant experience in design and construction law, as well as business law.
Ryan advises schools, colleges and universities on contracts, grants, policies, tax issues, permitting, and regulatory compliance.
In his health care practice, Ryan drafts and negotiates affiliation agreements, mergers and acquisitions, and contracts for professional services, software, and medical equipment. He advises health care clients on compliance with HIPAA, fraud and abuse laws, and a variety of other laws affecting health care organizations. He also assists clients who have experienced breaches under HIPAA and other data privacy laws.
In his construction practice, Ryan drafts and negotiates design and construction contracts for large and sophisticated projects, including academic buildings, hospitals, museums, nursing homes, manufacturing facilities, and high-end residences. He also advises clients on construction disputes and compliance with laws governing prevailing wages, retainage, and liens.
Ryan represents businesses and charitable organizations of all types with respect to organization, mergers and acquisitions, financing transactions and contracts.
Prior to joining the firm, Ryan served as Associate City Solicitor for the City of Springfield, where he drafted and negotiated contracts and advised municipal officials on a variety of legal matters, including design and construction, zoning, permitting, real estate, energy, public works, and competitive procurement.
- Colorado College, B.A., 2005
- Northeastern University School of Law, J.D., 2011
- Drafted and negotiated design and construction contracts for world-class academic science building and state-of-the-art hospital wing
- Advised colleges and universities on compliance with the ADA, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, FERPA, Title IX, NCAA regulations, and other laws
- Drafted and updated policies, handbooks, and standard forms for schools, colleges and universities
- Represented health care client with respect to a HIPAA breach involving more than 15,000 patients, including conducting a breach analysis, notifying affected patients and local media outlets, and negotiating with HHS’s Office of Civil Rights, resulting in no monetary penalties being assessed
- Advised health care clients on regulatory compliance matters, including HIPAA, the Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statute, and the False Claims Act
- Formed joint venture of several behavioral health and social service providers to participate in Medicaid initiative
- Drafted and updated HIPAA policies, business associate agreements, privacy policies, and patient consent forms
- Represented clients in the purchase and sale of large and small businesses, including stock and asset transactions
- Advised clients on local zoning, regulatory, and permitting issues
- • April 23, 2021
- • February 24, 2021
- • July 27, 2020
- • March 20, 2020
- • January 15, 2020
- • October 31, 2019
Ryan has served on the board of directors of several local nonprofit organizations, including Helix Human Services and Leadership Pioneer Valley. Currently, Ryan provides pro bono legal services to local farmers and food entrepreneurs through the Conservation Law Foundation’s Legal Services Food Hub. In his spare time, Ryan is an avid fly fisherman and backcountry skier.