Ryan J. Barry
- News & Insights
Ryan J. Barry
Ryan Barry’s practice focuses on advising businesses, charitable organizations, healthcare organizations and educational institutions on the legal issues that affect them.
Ryan routinely drafts and negotiates contracts between healthcare organizations, including affiliation agreements, mergers and acquisitions, and contracts for professional services, software and medical equipment. Ryan advises healthcare clients on compliance with HIPAA, fraud and abuse laws, and a variety of other laws affecting healthcare organizations.
In his construction practice, Ryan drafts and negotiates design and construction contracts for projects ranging from $300M academic buildings and hospitals to private residences. He also advises clients on construction disputes and compliance with laws governing prevailing wages, retainage and liens.
Ryan advises schools, colleges and universities on a wide variety of matters, including contracts, tax issues, and licensing and permitting issues.
He also represents local businesses of all types with respect to organization, mergers and acquisitions, financing transactions and contracts.
Prior to joining the firm, Ryan served as Associate City Solicitor for the City of Springfield, where he drafted and negotiated contracts, handled civil litigation matters, and advised municipal officials on a variety of legal matters, including design and construction, zoning, permitting, real estate, energy, public works and competitive procurement.
- Colorado College, B.A., 2005
- Northeastern University School of Law, J.D., 2011
- Assisted clients with the formation of businesses and charitable organizations, including medical and behavioral health practices, landscape design firms, manufacturing businesses and microbreweries
- Formed joint venture of several behavioral health and social service providers to participate in Medicaid initiative
- Represented clients in the purchase and sale of large and small businesses, including stock and asset transactions
- Represented healthcare client with respect to a HIPAA breach involving more than 15,000 patients, including conducting a breach analysis, notifying affected patients and local media outlets, and negotiating with HHS’s Office of Civil Rights, resulting in no monetary penalties being assessed
- Drafted and updated HIPAA policies, business associate agreements, privacy policies, and patient consent forms
- Drafted and negotiated design and construction contracts for hospitals, universities and manufacturers, with project sizes ranging from $1M to $300M
- Advised healthcare clients on regulatory compliance matters, including HIPAA, the HITECH Act, the Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statute, the Civil Monetary Penalties Act and the False Claims Act
- Advised clients on local zoning, regulatory and permitting issues
- • April 23, 2021
- • February 24, 2021
- • July 27, 2020
- • March 20, 2020
- • January 15, 2020
- • October 31, 2019
Ryan serves on the Board of Directors of The Children’s Study Home, a 150-year-old organization serving children with special needs and behavioral issues. He also provides pro bono legal services to local farmers through the Conservation Law Foundation’s Legal Services Food Hub. In his spare time, Ryan is an avid fly fisherman and backcountry skier.