Daniel J. Finnegan
Dan Finnegan focuses his practice in the areas of litigation, property tax, construction law, administrative law and land use. Dan handles all aspects of civil litigation, arbitration and mediation, and has represented banks, financial institutions, businesses, and governmental and individual clients at the trial and appellate court levels in both state and federal courts. Dan has experience defending banks over alleging predatory lending, mortgage fraud and violation of consumer protection statutes. He represents owners, design professionals and contractors in litigation and alternative dispute resolution forums and in the negotiation and drafting of contracts. Dan represents taxpayers in proceedings before local boards of assessors, the Massachusetts Appellate Tax Board and appellate courts. He also handles a wide range of zoning and land use matters, as well, as litigation matters and has substantial experience representing clients before municipal boards and administrative agencies. He also has experience in property tax abatement and exemption cases.
- District of Massachusetts
- Northern District of New York
- First Circuit Court of Appeals
- Providence College, B.A., 1986
- Western New England College School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1992
- Represented national banks in suits alleging mortgage fraud and violations of the Truth in Lending Act, Consumer Protection Act, Massachusetts Consumer Credit Cost Disclosure Act, FDCPA and RESPA.
Represented owner in dispute with contractor, architect and subcontractors involving five separate litigations in court and arbitration relating to multi-million dollar addition and renovation project.
- Obtained tax abatement for multi-million dollar hydro-electric generation facility in hearing before the Massachusetts Tax Appellate Board.
- Obtained dismissal of claims asserted against contractor arising out of alleged defects and warranty issues in the construction of a new school.
- Represented city water department in dispute with contractor relating to construction of multi-million dollar public works project.
- Represented municipal water district in bid protest relating to construction of water tank.
- Representation of various colleges, schools and hospitals in drafting contracts for major construction projects.
- Obtained summary judgment for Springfield Parking Authority in high profile litigation brought by its former Executive Director and successfully defended appeals of that decision.
- Represented wireless communications carriers and wireless infrastructure companies in leasing and permitting cell tower sites and litigating appeals arising from the permitting process in federal and state courts.
- Obtained multi-million dollar judgment on behalf of estate in wrongful death action.
- Dan has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® each year since 2006, specifically in the areas of administrative/regulatory law and litigation (construction)
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association