James C. Duda
Jim Duda’s practice focuses on helping clients develop, protect and maximize the value of their intellectual property. As an attorney and professional engineer, Jim brings to the firm both legal and technical expertise.
Jim is admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. He represents clients in a variety of matters, with special emphasis on monetization of core technologies, inventions and creative expression through licensing, transactions, brand development and patent management strategies. He also assists clients with protecting and enforcing their intellectual property rights through patents, trade secret programs, registrations and civil litigation.
Before studying law, Jim worked as a civil engineer and energy resource specialist with the California Department of Water Resources and as an environmental planner and alternative energy consultant in private practice.
Jim taught as an adjunct professor at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst and regularly speaks on technology, intellectual property and environmental issues.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Courts for the Districts of Massachusetts, District of Columbia, and Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the First Circuit and for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Bennington College, B.A., 1976
- University of California at Los Angeles, M.S., 1980
- Boston College, J.D., magna cum laude, 1987
- Recovered a seven-figure settlement in a commercial dispute involving proprietary information, trade secrets, innovative green energy technology, substantial issues of e-discovery and claims under federal and state law, including the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
- Developed intellectual property policies for medical research facilities.
- Recovered damages and rights to a food distributor’s trademark taken by a competitor.
- Recovered patent rights for a manufacturer of gas conduit products while defending patent infringement claims.
- Represented a special committee of a board of directors regarding potential director liability for the company’s nuclear reactor program.
- Managed the expert testimony of over a dozen experts in connection with the defense of a petrochemical company in a class action lawsuit involving more than 7,000 plaintiffs.
- In pro bono representation, recovered substantial damages against a major municipal police force for civil rights violations in connection with the misuse of the city’s disorderly conduct laws.
- Serves on the board of directors of the WFCR Foundation
- Mentor for a team of students from the University of Massachusetts chapter of Engineers Without Borders that developed clean drinking water supply technology and strategies in a reservation within the Brazilian area of the Amazon Forest
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineers