Ronald P. Weiss
Ron Weiss focuses in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, general corporate and business matters, taxation, and estate planning for professionals and owners of closely-held businesses. He is also actively involved in the firm’s Trustee Support Services business.
Ron is general counsel for the Community Foundation of Western Massachusetts, of which he was a founder; general counsel for the Springfield Symphony Orchestra, where he has also served as president and chairman and continues to serve on its Board of Directors; a founder and former member of the board of advisors of the Family Business Center of Pioneer Valley (formerly the UMass Family Business Center); past Chairman of the Jewish Endowment Foundation of Western Massachusetts; and actively involved as a board member and volunteer for several other non-profit organizations.
He has served as chairman of the Taxation Section of the Massachusetts Bar Association (MBA), on the Councils of the Business and Probate Law Sections of the MBA, and as a member of the MBA board of delegates and executive committee. He has also served as a trustee of Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. and as a member of its curriculum committee, as a member and chairman of the appropriations committee for the town of Longmeadow, and as a member of the board of advisors of the Hanson Initiative for Language and Literacy at the MGH Institute of Health Professions, Inc.
- U.S. Tax Court
- Dartmouth College, B.A., 1968
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 1972
- Represented private and publicly-held corporations as lead counsel in more than 400 stock and asset transactions, many involving consolidations in various industries.
- Counseled closely-held business clients include professional and business corporations, partnership and limited liability companies.
- Provided strategic advice and counsel to businesses with respect to a variety of matters, including choice of entity, agreements among owners, financing, structuring transactions for tax minimization, long-term supplier and customer contracts, licensing contracts, deferred compensation arrangements, employment and consulting agreements, and joint ventures.
- Provided counsel to chief executive officers regarding incentive compensation and terms of employment agreements.
- • October 31, 2019
- • October 19, 2018
- Ron Weiss received the prestigious Pynchon Award for “Creating an Environment of Giving” in 2018.
- Ron has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® for the past 26 years and in 2011 was named “Lawyer of the Year” in corporate law for the Springfield area by Best Lawyers®.
- Ron is included in the Massachusetts Super Lawyers list published in New England Super Lawyers magazine and was named one of the “Top 100 Massachusetts Super Lawyers” in 2004 by Boston magazine.
- He is also listed in Who’s Who in America, Who’s Who in American Law and Who’s Who in the World.
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, Hampden County Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Foundation