The Employment Law practice group advises clients on all aspects of employment relationships and offers practical solutions to avoid and resolve workplace disputes. Counseling employers on legally sound employment practices and policies, we are experienced in handling legal issues related to hiring, promotion, discipline and discharge.
Staying abreast of new and changing legislation, regulations and practical developments as they occur allows our clients to be better informed and to take proactive measures to protect their businesses and employees. We provide timely information to our clients in an effort to maximize compliance and minimize the risk of exposure to regulatory discipline or litigation.
In addition, we assist in the drafting and review of employee handbooks and employment–related agreements.
We know that disputes do sometimes arise. When they do, we work closely with our clients to resolve each matter successfully and as efficiently as possible, including through a verdict at trial, if necessary, or a negotiated or mediated settlement, if possible – always keeping in mind the client’s best interest.
- After a public hearing at the MCAD, obtained dismissal of discrimination and harassment claim against a manufacturing facility
- Obtained summary judgment in state court for hospital and hospital officials on doctor’s tort and breach of contract claims arising from hospital’s National Practitioner Data Bank report
- Obtained summary judgment in state court, affirmed by the Massachusetts Appeals Court, for hospital official on doctor’s tort claim arising from hospital’s communication with doctor’s new employer
- Conducted Title IX and other discrimination investigations for university and private school involving employees,
- Conducted confidential harassment investigations for public school and health care provider involving alleged misconduct by employee
- Negotiated separations of executives for large non-profit entities
- Successfully mediated settlement for employer in claims alleging sexual harassment and discrimination by male supervisor on male employee
- Represented employer in an MCAD case alleging discrimination based on sex, race, and national origin
- Represented employer in federal court case alleging failure to reasonably accommodate a disability under state and federal law
- Represented an employer in an MCAD case alleging hostile work environment and sexual harassment
- Involved in interviewing an employee who alleged claims of sexual harassment and hostile work environment by her supervisor.
- Obtained numerous lack of probable cause determinations for employer from Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, including claims on transgender woman’s discrimination
- Obtained lack of probable cause determination for employer from MCAD on employee’s gender and national origin claims
- Obtained summary judgment for employer on employee’s misclassification/overtime claim
- Obtained lack of probable cause determination for employer from MCAD on employee’s sexual harassment claim
- Successfully tried to verdict in Hampden County Superior Court claims by former restaurant managers for breach of oral employment agreements
- Negotiated collective bargaining agreement with public workers union on behalf of municipality
- Advised manufacturer/retailer regarding applicability and effect of Massachusetts Blue Laws
- Through summary judgment, successfully defended suit by former employer against former employee and new employer seeking to enforce non-competition agreement
- Successfully negotiated settlement of suit by former employer against former employee and new employer alleging improper disclosure and use of trade secrets and other confidential information
- Successfully defended municipal employer before state labor relations regulators against claims of wrongful labor practices
- Negotiated settlements of collective actions against regional transit authorities on behalf of drivers
- Conducted full-day evidentiary hearing before Massachusetts Civil Service Commission regarding termination of police officer by municipality (decision pending)
- Negotiated separation agreements before local non-profit organization and departing employees
Client Alert: Next Steps for Preparing for Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave
- • October 31, 2019
Bulkley Richardson Tops List of Springfield Firms with Eleven Practice Areas Ranked in “Best Law Firms”
- • October 31, 2019
Bulkley Richardson and Millbrook Benefits Collaborate Program for Next Steps in Preparing for Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave
- • October 31, 2019
The Nuts and Bolts of Paid Family Leave: What Massachusetts Employers Need to Know (May 9, 2019)
- Upcoming Events
- • April 3, 2019